Grade Levels: 3 - 5
- Students will become familiar with using a thesaurus.
- Students will increase their vocabulary.
- Students will use a hands-on activity to learn vocabulary and adjective use.
- Construction paper, cut into 1 inch strips
- Magic Markers
- One thesaurus for each student/group
- A list of adjectives that are overused. (ex: good, bad, mean, fast, etc.)
- Give each group an adjective. Tell them that the word is almost dead from overuse and they need to find words that mean the same (synonyms) to help keep their word alive.
- Give each group a thesaurus and plenty of paper strips.
- Have them put their overused word (in BIG BOLD colors and letters) on a regular piece of construction paper.
- The students find synonyms in the thesaurus for their word.
- They write one synonym on each strip of paper and make a chain link.
- Students continue writing new synonyms on paper strips and linking the chain together until they have exhausted their list of synonyms.
- Next, hang the chains on the walls or bulletin boards where they are easily accessible.
- Leave the chains up for any period of time you wish.
- When a student overuses one of these words in his/her writing, tell them to go to the appropriate adjective chain and find a new word for the old one they used. Eventually, they prefer a thesaurus for finding their words and thus have learned its value.
Asian-Pacific-American Heritage Month
May is Asian-Pacific-American Heritage Month! Don't overlook this opportunity to study and enjoy activities about the history and culture of Asian-Pacific American communities.
The recent rash of tornadoes in Oklahoma, which killed at least two dozen people, may have your students wondering why such natural disasters occur, how they may be affected by them, and what they can do to help. Use these resources to teach the geography of Oklahoma and the Southwestern United States, to explain tornadoes, and to discuss the resulting crises with your class.
Top 10 Galleries
Explore our most popular Top 10 galleries, from Top 10 Behavior Management Tips for the Classroom and Top 10 Classroom Organization Tips from Veteran Teachers to Top 10 Free (& Cheap) Rewards for Students and Top 10 Things Every Teacher Needs in the Classroom. We'll help you get organized and prepared for every classroom situation, holiday, and more! Check out all of our galleries today.
May Calendar of Events
May is full of holidays and events that you can incorporate into your standard curriculum. Our Educators' Calendar outlines activities for each event, including: Backyard Games Week (5/23-29) and Memorial Day (5/27). Plus, celebrate Asian-Pacific-American Heritage Month, Clean Air Month, and Physical Fitness & Sports Month all May long!
Common Core Lessons & Resources
Is your school district adopting the Common Core? Work these new standards into your curriculum with our reading, writing, speaking, social studies, and math lessons and activities. Each piece of content incorporates the Common Core State Standards into the activity or lesson.