Seventh Grade Basic SkillsThe learning pace increases in seventh grade because kids are asked to handle a more challenging curriculum and do independent projects in many of their subjects. The curriculum also broadens beyond language arts, math, social studies, and science. Students have daily classes in such areas as foreign language, art, music, health, home economics, shop, keyboarding, and physical education. In seventh grade, most students will:
- Write papers that are mechanically correct and more than one page in length.
- Express themselves orally in a clear and organized way.
- Understand medieval and early modern times in world history and/or the emergence of the United States as a world power.
- Understand angles and symmetry and construct various three-dimensional objects, plane figures, parallel lines, and circles.
- Handle statistics (mean, median, mode) and determine the probability of events.
- Solve simple equations containing a variable.
- Understand in greater depth the concepts of atomic structure, chemical bonds and reactions, genetics, and weather.
- Conduct scientific experiments using dependent and independent variables.
- Appreciate art and music and acquire basic skills in these areas.