Grade Levels: K - 5STEAL THE TIRE
- To get the tire across your team's line before being tagged.
- One used tire
- Line up two equal teams on the sidelines of the gymnasium.
- Number the players on each team.
- Place a tire in the center of the gym.
- Follow the same rules as for Steal the Bacon by having the students whose numbers are called run out to get the tire and bring it back across their sideline before they can be tagged.
- The tire must be carried or rolled under control to the sideline.
- Call two or more numbers so strategy can be used by rolling the tire to a teammate in order to get the tire back before being tagged.
- To avoid being tagged by the "cookie monster."
- One player is the cookie monster and the other players are the cookies.
- The cookie monster is in a hut (designated area in one end of the gym) and the cookies are in the cookie box, which is located in another part of the gym.
- The cookies approach the monster and keep asking if he is hungry.
- When the monster yells, "I'm Hungry," he chases the cookies.
- All cookies tagged before they reach the cookie box become cookie monsters.
- The game continues until there are no cookies left.
- To dribble a basketball while tagging other players, and avoid being tagged yourself.
- One basketball or any type of ball for each student
- Make groups of six to eight students.
- Have each student begin dribbling a basketball.
- All members of the group must stay within a designated area.
- Each player tries to tag other players while dribbling his or her basketball.
- Players may not tag the person who tagged them.
- A player gets one point for every player tagged.
- Have two-minute periods, and at the end of each period the six players with the most tags form a group to play dribble tag during the next two-minute period.
- To avoid being tagged by the player who is "It" and is throwing the ball at the other players.
- Foam rubber balls
- One player is "It" and tries to tag people by hitting them with the ball. When a player is hit, he then becomes "It" and changes places with the former tagger.
- Each person tagged gets a ball and becomes another "It." Continue until the last player is finally tagged.
Excerpted from What Are We Doing in Gym Today?