Mother's Day Writing Ideas
- Have middle and upper grade students write descriptive paragraphs on any of the
- What it takes to be a good mother
- What my mom means to me
- One time that my mom really came through for me
- Have the younger children as a group dictate sentences based on their
ideas and feelings about "Mothers."
- Organize these and print them up in large letters on a piece of butcher paper for the bulletin board.
- Then make a colorful border and have the class choose a title for the composition.
- This is also an appropriate time to remember your room mother by sending her a small gift or note saying thank you for her year-long efforts and thoughtfulness.
Such papers, when corrected and recopied in the students' best penmanship, may become the basis of a fine bulletin board or go home with the students to be shared with their mothers.
Excerpted from The Complete Teacher's Almanack.
Asian-Pacific-American Heritage Month
May is Asian-Pacific-American Heritage Month! Don't overlook this opportunity to study and enjoy activities about the history and culture of Asian-Pacific American communities.
The recent rash of tornadoes in Oklahoma, which killed at least two dozen people, may have your students wondering why such natural disasters occur, how they may be affected by them, and what they can do to help. Use these resources to teach the geography of Oklahoma and the Southwestern United States, to explain tornadoes, and to discuss the resulting crises with your class.
Top 10 Galleries
Explore our most popular Top 10 galleries, from Top 10 Behavior Management Tips for the Classroom and Top 10 Classroom Organization Tips from Veteran Teachers to Top 10 Free (& Cheap) Rewards for Students and Top 10 Things Every Teacher Needs in the Classroom. We'll help you get organized and prepared for every classroom situation, holiday, and more! Check out all of our galleries today.
May Calendar of Events
May is full of holidays and events that you can incorporate into your standard curriculum. Our Educators' Calendar outlines activities for each event, including: Backyard Games Week (5/23-29) and Memorial Day (5/27). Plus, celebrate Asian-Pacific-American Heritage Month, Clean Air Month, and Physical Fitness & Sports Month all May long!
Common Core Lessons & Resources
Is your school district adopting the Common Core? Work these new standards into your curriculum with our reading, writing, speaking, social studies, and math lessons and activities. Each piece of content incorporates the Common Core State Standards into the activity or lesson.