Mother May I?
This game is similar to Simon Says, where the person giving the command also has to give permission to carry it out.
- Students listen carefully and ask, "Mother, may I?"
- The response must be, "Yes you may."
- If the response is only, "Yes," then the person may not carry out the task.
A variation of this game is Giant Steps.
- The mother stands at a distance from the other players who are lined up.
- The mother calls out the name of each student before giving a specific command ("Jimmy, you may take three giant steps," or "Bertina, you may take one baby step").
- Students have to say "Mother, may I?" before they show any movement of their body.
- The group will get closer and closer to the mother.
- The one who finally gets close enough to touch the mother becomes the next mother.
- The game begins all over again.
Excerpted from Multicultural Discovery Activities for the Elementary Grades.