Grade Levels: 5 - 12
- Students will practice simple algebraic equations by converting the Chinese Yuan into U.S. dollars.
- Copies of Solve it in Yuan Student Handout
- Distribute copies of Solve it in Yuan Student Handout
- Allow time for students to solve the problems. When they are finished, review the answers (included with worksheet) with them.
- Instruct students to estimate the costs for one day of their trip to China for a family of four (2 adults and 2 students). Approximate hotel and dining costs can be found in most travel books. Estimate other expenses. Although the activity provided can be used as a guide, encourage students to make other selections on how the family will spend the day.
- An abacus is a tool used in China for counting and doing simple arithmetic. It is the forerunner of modern-day calculators. The abacus is still used in China as well as other Asian countries. Obtain an abacus and help students learn to use it.