Ways to Help Others Grieve
If someone you care about has lost a loved one, you can help the person through the grieving process using the following techniques:
- Share the sorrow. Allow her or him to talk about feelings of loss and share memories of the deceased.
- Don't offer false comfort. It doesn't help the grieving person when you say it was for the best or you'll get over it in time. Instead, offer a simple expression of sorrow and take time to listen.
- Offer practical help. Babysitting, cooking, and running errands are all ways to help someone who is in the midst of grieving.
- Be patient. Remember that it can take a long time to recover from a major loss. Make yourself available to talk.
- Encourage professional help when necessary. Don't hesitate to recommend professional help when you feel someone is experiencing too much pain to cope alone.
Click here for more on Dealing with Death.Excerpted from The Health Teacher's Book of Lists .