Original URL: http://www.teachervision.fen.com/kwanzaa/lesson-plan/5320.html
What Is Kwanzaa?
Grade Levels: 3 - 5
- Students will use vocabulary related to Kwanzaa.
- Students will identify main ideas and details related to the celebration of Kwanzaa.
- Students will summarize information about Kwanzaa.
- Introduce key vocabulary: celebration,
Kwanzaa, rejoicing, principles, symbols, unique. (included in the this lesson's packet)
- Invite pairs of students to use the Internet (Ex: InfoPlease or Official Kwanzaa Website) to learn more about this celebration.
- Have students use the Kwanzaa Concept Map graphic organizer to organize main ideas about the holiday of Kwanzaa. Have the students add circles to give details about each main idea.
- Set aside a time for groups to share their organizers and talk about the holiday.
Use students' graphic organizers to evaluate their
ability to synthesize information about the holiday of Kwanzaa. Ask students
to complete the Kwanzaa Comparison Chart.
Find additional Kwanzaa lessons and activities that can be used as extension activities on TeacherVision®.
© 2000-2013 Pearson Education, Inc. All Rights Reserved.