Math and Recipes
Grade Levels: 3 - 5Objectives
- Students will use an Internet site to find arts and crafts recipes.
- Students will solve problems by multiplying and dividing whole numbers.
- Students will practice unit conversions.
- Introduce key vocabulary: borax, fluid ounce, plaster of Paris, pint, quart.
- Ask students to visit the Art Kitchen and collect information about the ingredients in the recipes. They should use the worksheet as a guide.
- Students should use the Internet site and their math skills to complete the worksheet.
- Students may complete the worksheet individually or in pairs.
- Schedule class time for students to share their recipes.
- Use students' responses on their worksheets and their participation in the class discussion to evaluate their ability to use information they find on the Internet and to use multiplication and division to convert one unit of capacity to another.
- Find a variety of assessment techniques to use with this lesson.
- Choose from a large collection of cross-curricular activities for all grade levels.
National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- develop fluency in multiplying and dividing whole numbers.
- carry out simple unit conversions within a system of measurement.
National Educational Technology Standards
- use technology to locate, evaluate, and collect information.
- use technology tools to enhance learning, increase productivity, and promote creativity.