Write a Harry Potter Script
Grade Levels: 3 - 8
- Students will learn to write a script.
- Students will practice their public speaking skills.
- Students will practice their reading comprehension skills by learning how to summarize.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and/or the rest of the Harry Potter books.
- Copies of the Script Writing handout
Distribute the Script Writing handout.
- Ask students to select and re-read their favorite chapter from one of the Harry Potter books.
- Instruct students to summarize the chapter using the handout.
- Go over "Writing the Script for a Scene" together.
- Give students time to write scripts for one scene from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
- Break the class up into partners and have them read each other's work.
- Allow students to edit their scripts.
- Act the scenes out in front of the class.
- As an extension activity try the following:
Watch a film adaptation of another book and discuss whether or not the film accurately captured the tone and spirit of the book. (Suggested movies: James and the Giant Peach, Matilda, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Witches, Stuart Little, Charlotte's Web, and The Mouse and the Motorcycle)
Provided by Factmonster.com.