American Flag Bulletin Board
Grade Levels: Pre-K - 5
- Students will learn the meaning of Independence Day.
- Students will create a class flag.
- (This list works for a class of 24 students. If you have more students in your class just adjust the number of red and white pieces of paper accordingly.) The Fourth of July Story by Alice Dalgliesh, Aladdin Paperbacks; ISBN: 0689718764
- 4 (8 1/2; x 11) sheets of blue construction paper.
- 10 (8 1/2 x 11) sheets of red construction paper.
- 10 (8 1/2x 11) sheets of white construction paper.
- Read The Fourth of July Story by Alice Dalgliesh aloud to the class.
- Allow time for questions afterwards.
- Ask students to generate a list of facts they learned from the story and write the list on the blackboard.
- Give each student one piece of construction paper.
- Ask students to select one of these facts and draw a picture that uses up the entire piece of paper. NOTE: Pictures must be drawn horizontally in order to create a bulletin board in the shape of a flag.
- Arrange finished pictures on a bulletin board in a form similar to the American flag. (The four blue pieces form the square in the upper left-hand corner, the white and red pieces can be arranged in stripes around it). Create a caption below it such as "Our Independence Day Flag".
Asian-Pacific-American Heritage Month
May is Asian-Pacific-American Heritage Month! Don't overlook this opportunity to study and enjoy activities about the history and culture of Asian-Pacific American communities.
Top 10 Galleries
Explore our most popular Top 10 galleries, from Top 10 Behavior Management Tips for the Classroom and Top 10 Classroom Organization Tips from Veteran Teachers to Top 10 Free (& Cheap) Rewards for Students and Top 10 Things Every Teacher Needs in the Classroom. We'll help you get organized and prepared for every classroom situation, holiday, and more! Check out all of our galleries today.
May Calendar of Events
May is full of holidays and events that you can incorporate into your standard curriculum. Our Educators' Calendar outlines activities for each event, including: Children's Book Week (5/13-19), Biographers Day (5/16), and Memorial Day (5/27). Plus, celebrate Asian-Pacific-American Heritage Month, Clean Air Month, and Physical Fitness & Sports Month all May long!
Common Core Lessons & Resources
Is your school district adopting the Common Core? Work these new standards into your curriculum with our reading, writing, speaking, social studies, and math lessons and activities. Each piece of content incorporates the Common Core State Standards into the activity or lesson.