Teacher Guided Practice Questions
Grade Levels: 3 - 5
To help students compare the value of decimals, propose situations such as these:
- The fastest known fish, the cosmopolitan sailfish, swims up to 67.92 miles per hour; the fastest mammal, the cheetah, runs across the plains at up to 67.912 miles per hour. Which animal is faster? (sailfish)
- A garden snail can journey at 0.03 miles per hour; a three-toed sloth can travel at 0.15 miles per hour; and a tortoise can move up to 0.280 miles per hour. Order the animals from fastest to slowest. (tortoise, three-toed sloth, garden snail)
- Free-tailed bats have been clocked at 32.41 miles per hour. If a tropical cockroach moves at speeds up to 3.241 miles per hour, how many times faster is the bat? (10 times faster)
- Killer whales swim at 34.53 miles per hour in the eastern Pacific. Is this faster or slower than a nearby cruise ship moving at 34.55 miles per hour? (slower)
- If a tortoise travels at 0.17 miles per hour and a spider moves at 1.17 miles per hour, how much faster is the spider? (one mile per hour faster)
- A dolphin can swim at 30.55 miles per hour, a giraffe can travel 30.7 miles per hour, a domestic cat can run 30.21 miles per hour, and a grizzly bear can travel at 30.1 miles per hour. Order the animals from slowest to fastest. (grizzly bear, domestic cat, dolphin, giraffe)
for $39.95 a year and start receiving benefits today!
Sign up today to receive timely, popular, and free classroom resources!
The end of the school year is quickly approaching! Celebrate with fun activities, then prepare yourself and your students with report card advice, summer reading guides, summer math, and more.
Common Core Lessons & Resources
Is your school district adopting the Common Core? Work these new standards into your curriculum with our reading, writing, speaking, social studies, and math lessons and activities. Each piece of content incorporates the Common Core State Standards into the activity or lesson.
Top 10 Galleries
Explore our most popular Top 10 galleries, from Top 10 Behavior Management Tips for the Classroom and Top 10 Classroom Organization Tips from Veteran Teachers to Top 10 Free (& Cheap) Rewards for Students and Top 10 Things Every Teacher Needs in the Classroom. We'll help you get organized and prepared for every classroom situation, holiday, and more! Check out all of our galleries today.
June Calendar of Events
June is full of holidays and events that you can incorporate into your standard curriculum. Our Educators' Calendar outlines activities for each event, including: Summer Begins (6/21), Helen Keller's Birthday (6/27/1880), World War I Began (6/28/1914), and Meteor Day (6/30). Plus, celebrate Child Vision Awareness Month, National Rivers Month, and National Safety Month all June long!
Causes We Support: We Give Books
Visit We Give Books, an ever-growing, free online library of children's picture books! For every book read on the site, a brand-new book will be donated to a children's literacy campaign of your choosing. Read aloud to students or encourage them read independently, and you'll teach them to help others at the same time. Giving is as simple as reading!