Chinese Words and Phrases
Grade Levels: 5 - 12
- Students will practice writing Pinyun.
- Students will become familiar with basic Chinese words.
- Chinese Words and Phrases Student Handout
- Black markers
- 6" X 12" strips of white paper (enough for each student to have two pieces of paper)
- Distribute copies of Chinese Words and Phrases Student Handout.
- Go over the pronunciation of the words and phrases with your students.
- Have students write the words and phrases (in English and Pinyin) on strips of paper.
- When they are finished, display the strips around the room.
Note: For a broader experience, obtain an introductory Chinese-American dictionary or cassette. Play the tapes, or allow students to search for words in the dictionary.
Excerpted from Africa, Europe & Asia: Ready to Use Interdisciplinary Lesson and Activities for Grades 5-12.
Asian-Pacific-American Heritage Month
May is Asian-Pacific-American Heritage Month! Don't overlook this opportunity to study and enjoy activities about the history and culture of Asian-Pacific American communities.
Top 10 Galleries
Explore our most popular Top 10 galleries, from Top 10 Behavior Management Tips for the Classroom and Top 10 Classroom Organization Tips from Veteran Teachers to Top 10 Free (& Cheap) Rewards for Students and Top 10 Things Every Teacher Needs in the Classroom. We'll help you get organized and prepared for every classroom situation, holiday, and more! Check out all of our galleries today.
May Calendar of Events
May is full of holidays and events that you can incorporate into your standard curriculum. Our Educators' Calendar outlines activities for each event, including: Children's Book Week (5/13-19), Biographers Day (5/16), and Memorial Day (5/27). Plus, celebrate Asian-Pacific-American Heritage Month, Clean Air Month, and Physical Fitness & Sports Month all May long!
Common Core Lessons & Resources
Is your school district adopting the Common Core? Work these new standards into your curriculum with our reading, writing, speaking, social studies, and math lessons and activities. Each piece of content incorporates the Common Core State Standards into the activity or lesson.