Grade Levels: Pre-K - 5
- Students will appreciate the people who have jobs that impact their lives.
- Students will create "Appreciation Cards" for these individuals.
- Construction paper (multi-colored)
- Markers or crayons
- Lead a discussion in which students name people who have jobs that impact their lives. These people may include working parents, stay-at-home moms, older siblings, coaches, teachers, counselors, police officers, firefighters, and EMTs.
- Ask students to select a particular person in their lives to whom they would like to show their appreciation.
- Tell students they will be making cards with notes of thanks for the person they picked.
- Give each student a piece of construction paper and instruct them to fold it in half.
- Help students write thank you messages and give them time to decorate the cards with the markers and crayons.
Asian-Pacific-American Heritage Month
May is Asian-Pacific-American Heritage Month! Don't overlook this opportunity to study and enjoy activities about the history and culture of Asian-Pacific American communities.
The recent rash of tornadoes in Oklahoma, which killed at least two dozen people, may have your students wondering why such natural disasters occur, how they may be affected by them, and what they can do to help. Use these resources to teach the geography of Oklahoma and the Southwestern United States, to explain tornadoes, and to discuss the resulting crises with your class.
Top 10 Galleries
Explore our most popular Top 10 galleries, from Top 10 Behavior Management Tips for the Classroom and Top 10 Classroom Organization Tips from Veteran Teachers to Top 10 Free (& Cheap) Rewards for Students and Top 10 Things Every Teacher Needs in the Classroom. We'll help you get organized and prepared for every classroom situation, holiday, and more! Check out all of our galleries today.
May Calendar of Events
May is full of holidays and events that you can incorporate into your standard curriculum. Our Educators' Calendar outlines activities for each event, including: Backyard Games Week (5/23-29) and Memorial Day (5/27). Plus, celebrate Asian-Pacific-American Heritage Month, Clean Air Month, and Physical Fitness & Sports Month all May long!
Common Core Lessons & Resources
Is your school district adopting the Common Core? Work these new standards into your curriculum with our reading, writing, speaking, social studies, and math lessons and activities. Each piece of content incorporates the Common Core State Standards into the activity or lesson.