Original URL: http://www.teachervision.fen.com/back-to-school/lesson-plan/2107.html
First Day Celebration
Grade Levels: K - 5
- Students will get to know their classmates in a relaxed atmosphere.
- Students will begin the year with a positive experience.
- The teacher will have the opportunity to informally gather first impressions of
After starting the year this way, students often comment that they've had an exciting first day of
school and are motivated and excited to return the next day.
- Tell the students that they're going to learn some fun and exciting things this year, so the class
will be starting off with a "Getting to Know You" party.
- Hand out the "Getting to Know You"
Game sheets and read the instructions aloud.
- Tell the
students they will have ten minutes to gather as many initials from their classmates as they can.
- Encourage the students to speak to every person in the class before the game is over.
- As the children play the game, observe the way the children interact and gather some first impressions.
- After 10 minutes, tell the students to stop playing the game and sit down.
- Hand out the snacks and drinks.
- Discuss the similarities and differences everyone discovered while playing the game.
© 2000-2013 Pearson Education, Inc. All Rights Reserved.