Sunflowers, Van Gogh, and You
Grade Levels: 4 - 6
- Students will learn about Vincent van Gogh's life and art.
- Students will create sunflower paintings.
- Students will taste sunflower seeds.
- Students will plant sunflower seeds.
- Art supplies
- Internet access
- Sunflower seeds (edible and plantable)
- Planting materials (pots, soil)
- Ask students what the word "sunflower" brings to their minds.
- Make a list of their ideas on the board.
- Distribute some edible sunflower seeds, being sure to remind students that they should only eat the variety of seeds that are distributed for consumption.
- Let the students taste the seeds and share their observations.
- Explain the various uses of sunflowers (oil, food, decoration).
- Introduce the students to Vincent van Gogh by exploring the Vincent van Gogh Information Gallery (http://www.vangoghgallery.com/index.html).
- Ask them to find three facts on van Gogh's life to share with the class.
- Have students spend a significant portion of time looking at the
Sunflower paintings by van Gogh (http://www.vangoghgallery.com/misc/sun
- Distribute art materials and ask students to make their own sunflower paintings.
- Have students plant sunflowers in pots. They will need to transplant them outdoors in a few weeks.